Trip Cost: $2,800.
Since 1999, the Oak Hills Church has sent short-term mission teams of adults and teens to the Leningrad region of Russia to serve orphans and other vulnerable children. Our teams went to share the love of Jesus through friendship evangelism in a relaxed, summer camp environment.
In 2016, the team had to quickly change their plans due to new travel restrictions to Russia. But as that door was closing, the Lord was opening another door with Heritage Ukraine, Camp LELA, and their directors Slavik & Alyona. This Spirit-filled couple (parents of three young children) lead a variety of ministries in their city of Odessa, Ukraine, including orphanage visits, help for moms with special needs children and a Christian after-school club called JAM (Jesus And Me) which gives kids a place to go after school, offers help with schoolwork, Bible lessons, games and a safe place for just hanging out. Many of Heritage Ukraine’s ministries during the school year lead to Camp LELA in the summer, where a team of creative, energetic and loving believers from area churches give kids a great week of fun, and share the gospel of Jesus Christ in a focused and intentional way.
Our team will come alongside the camp staff to pour God’s love into the kids and make relationships through playing games, doing crafts, performing skits and other traditional summer camp activities.
Ukraine Itinerary (tentative)
• July 22—23: Depart San Antonio airport, arrive Odessa, Ukraine the next day. Travel by bus to the camp, stopping first for supplies (bottled water, snacks etc.). Sleep.
• July 24—26: Orientation and training.
• July 27—31: Participate in camp life with music, crafts, sports, dra ma “Disco” and whatever the camp and team have prepared. Make friends and love everybody in the name of Jesus! During the camp session, team member are encouraged to: Seek God in prayer to be shown which child or children He wants them to minister to, engage in activities with the children, pray for the chil-dren God has shown you, become more intentional in relation ship building, and seek ways of sharing the gospel for a trans formative impact on those who show an openness. We will say our goodbyes and depart from the camp on the evening of the 27th.
• Aug. 1/2: Depart Odessa/arrive San Antonio (or possible overnight lay-over for arrival on the 2nd)
Team Meeting Info:
- We will have several Team meetings prior to our trip. We will provide you with a Team Informational Packet at the 1st Team Meeting.
- All Team Meetings are required and will focus on building team unity, learning about the culture of our designated country, discuss and plan for our in-country service.