2019 Ukraine Summer Camp Outreach: July 17 - 28
Trip Focus: Like many of the countries of the former Soviet Union, Ukraine has a large population of children at risk. Safe and loving homes have been disrupted by a variety of social ills including alcoholism, absentee fathers, the death of one or both parents, and even military conflict for children living in the boarder regions. The Oak Hills mission to Ukraine will send a team of volunteers to come alongside the loving directors and staff of Camp LELA, to pour out God’s love and remind these children that they have a Heavenly Father who loves them and will care for them.
Come serve alongside our partners in Ukraine!
Since 1999, the Oak Hills Church has sent short-term mission teams of adults and teens to the Leningrad region of Russia to serve orphans and other vulnerable children. Our teams went to share the love of Jesus through friendship evangelism in a relaxed, summer camp environment.
In 2016, the team had to quickly change their plans due to new travel restrictions to Russia. But as that door was closing, the Lord was opening another door with Heritage Ukraine, Camp LELA, and their directors Slavik & Alyona. This Spirit-filled couple (parents of three young children) lead a variety of ministries in their city of Odessa, Ukraine, including orphanage visits, help for moms with special needs children and a Christian after-school club called JAM (Jesus And Me) which gives kids a place to go after school, offers help with schoolwork, Bible lessons, games and a safe place for just hanging out. Many of Heritage Ukraine’s ministries during the school year lead to Camp LELA in the summer, where a team of creative, energetic and loving believers from area churches give kids a great week of fun, and share the gospel of Jesus Christ in a focused and intentional way. Our team will come alongside the camp staff to pour God’s love into the kids and make relationships through playing games, doing crafts, performing skits and other traditional summer camp activities.
Ukraine Itinerary (Tentative)
• July 17-18: Depart San Antonio airport, on Wednesday, arrive Odessa, Ukraine the next day. Travel by bus to the camp, stopping first for supplies (bottled water, snacks etc). Sleep.
• July 19 - 21: Orientation and training.
• July 22 - 27: Participate in camp life with music, crafts, sports, drama “Disco” and whatever the camp and team have prepared. Make friends and love everybody in the name of Jesus!
• During the camp session, team member are encouraged to: Seek God in prayer to be shown which child or children He wants them to minister to, engage in activities with the children, pray for the children God has shown you, become more intentional in relationship building, and seek ways of sharing the gospel for a transformative impact on those who show an openness. We will say our goodbyes and depart from the camp on the evening of the 27th.
• July 28: Depart Odessa/arrive San Antonio (or possible overnight layover for arrival on the 29th)
For more information on this trip, see attached file.