Oak Hills Church is committed to sharing the hope of Jesus and making disciples through authentic relationships. We believe that relational discipleship is the best approach to poverty alleviation, as people and families discover their true identities in Christ and begin following Jesus moment by moment.
Our Family Mentoring Ministry (FMM) is an outreach to vulnerable families in our community who are committed to improving their lives. OHC Family Mentors are matched with local families and walk alongside them in this journey of restoration. The ministry provides training, prayer support, and encouragement for mentors, bi-weekly food distributions for families, and special resources throughout the year.
Our vision is that these relationships are so mutually beneficial that all involved grow closer to Christ, as we courageously engage culture, and extend the hope of Jesus into our community.
- Download and read our Family Mentoring FAQ for more information about the Family Mentoring Ministry and mentor/mentee relationship. Click HERE.
- Register for our class Helping Without Hurting which covers a biblical perspective on poverty, based on the book When Helping Hurts. (Fall 2021 class date coming soon!)
WAYS TO SERVE
There are several ways for you and your family to plug in and serve:
- Mentor: Serve as a family mentor or mentor backup.
Food Distributions: Serve as a driver, loader/unloader, or food box preparer during bi-weekly Family Mentoring Ministry food distributions.
- Holiday Support: Serve during special projects to bless our mentee families on Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other special occasions.
- Volunteer: Serve directly at Hill Country Daily Bread Ministries.
BECOME A FAMILY MENTOR
Complete the following steps to become a Family Mentor:
- Application: OHC and HCDBM require volunteer applications and background checks for all representing the organizations in volunteer roles. We’ll assist you with completing all steps in the process.
Training: Our Family Mentoring Core Team will train and equip you on the journey of mentoring others in cooperation with our experienced partners at Hill Country Daily Bread Ministries. Our 5-week Helping Without Hurting class provides foundational training for prospective mentors. This class is for both those interested in mentoring and general FFM volunteers.
Matching: After training, you’ll be matched up with a struggling family in the community that is committed to improving their situation.
Mentoring: Together, you help build a better future through mutual encouragement, accountability and love, as you seek the dignity and purpose that God intends.
Email Marian Sultenfuss (email@example.com / 210.954.5545), OHC Ministry Volunteer contact to take your next step in becoming a Family Mentor!